The College of Charleston has several campus-wide software licenses available to faculty.
Akindi – Akindi is a bubble sheet scanning program, similar to Scantron, that allows users to print their own bubble sheets, scan them on any scanner and run detailed reports.
- Use it through OAKS – click on the “Launch Akindi” link from the top navigation of your Course Home in OAKS. This will automatically create an Akindi class and populate your classlist.
- Tutorials are available on the TLT Tutorials blog at Akindi Tutorial
Faculty, staff, and students can access any application the College has licensing for, with any device, from anywhere, at any time using the software delivery platform AppsAnywhere.
AppsAnywhere will enable you to use a wide range of software applications on a College or personal computer, whether on campus or at home. Regardless of the operating system being used, the power of the computer itself, or the licensing constraints of your software, AppsAnywhere will give you access to the applications you need. For example, a user can easily access Windows software on a Chromebook, an iPad, or even a Mac without dual-booting.
AppsAnywhere accomplishes this by using one of three software delivery methods – local installers, local execution without installation, or remote execution in the College Data Center. AppsAnywhere will automatically select the best option for the user, making the solution a seamless and easy way to get to the applications you need.
For questions or requests about specific software, contact the IT Service Desk using this link. Access information and training will be provided in the coming weeks.
EndNotes Web – EndNote Web is a bibliographic management product on the Web. With an EndNote Web account, users can manage references, cite references in papers and create bibliographies. While not as robust as the full version of EndNotes, EndNotes Web allows you to perform all the basic bibliographic management functions: create a personal library of references, organize them into groups, insert them into a Word document, and format your Word document according to a variety of styles.
- To use and install EndNotes Web contact the Library or go to http://nuncio.cofc.edu/login?url=http://webofknowledge.com/?DestApp=WOS&editions=SCI
- Once in, look for “my endnote web” link at the top. From there, create an account.
- Once logged in there is a short tutorials and a place to download the Cite While You Write section. IF YOU USE THIS, you need to go into the preferences for the toolbar and change it from the Application to the EndNote Web.
GIS – A geographic information/mapping system (GIS) lets us visualize, question, analyze, and interpret data to understand relationships, patterns, and trends.
- To have GIS installed in a classroom or your office contact the Helpdesk at email@example.com.
Kaltura – Kaltura MediaSpace is a Youtube-like, online media area specifically for CofC faculty, staff and students. Unlike other media servers on campus Kaltura is available to students so it can be used to upload video projects. Faculty can use it to upload tutorials, online lectures or any original work. Kaltura is integrated into your OAKS course and can be access via the toolbar.
- Kaltura is a fully online application and can be accessed via OAKS thorough your course toolbar or by going to http://cofc.mediaspace.kaltura.com. You will be required to log in using your Cougars username and password.
- Visit https://tlt.cofc.edututorials/2013/10/16/kaltura-mediaspace/ for more information and tutorials.
LinkedIn Learning – LinkedIn Learning is an online educational platform available to all College of Charleston faculty and staff. LinkedIn Learning can help you discover and develop technology, business, and creative skills through expert-led course videos on hundreds of topics – all on your own schedule. To browse the extensive list of courses available in LinkedIn Learning, faculty and staff must log in through Office 365 (portal.office.com) with their College credentials and navigate to the More Apps section (see detailed instructions).
- Faculty and staff can access LinkedIn Learning by logging into Absorb (cofc.myabsorb.com) with their College credentials
- LIL is integrated into OAKS as an external learning to, allowing easy access for pulling lessons into the content area to share with students.
MatLab – MatLab is a high-performance language for technical computing. There are functions for data analysis and visualization, numeric computation, engineering and scientific graphics, modeling, simulation, prototyping, programming and application development.
- To install MatLab on your office computer visit go.cofc.edu/MatLab
- Visit the MATLAB Academy for online tutorials and training.
MindView – Mindview is an idea or mind mapping application that allows you to create concept maps. This is a WINDOWS ONLY application.
- To have MindView installed on your office computer contact the Helpdesk at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Visit https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmVNvt2Ya_AMZN2u7j5f6lA for more information and tutorials.
PollEverywhere – PollEverywhere is an online-based audience response system, similar to clickers (e.g. iClickers and TurningPoint).
- Contact your Instructional Technologist to be added to the campus license.
- Visit https://tlt.cofc.edututorials/2013/09/10/poll-everywhere/ for more information and tutorials.
PeerMark – PeerMark is a peer review assignment tool that allows students to read, review, and evaluate classmates papers. This tool is part of the Turnitin family of applications and works similarly to the Turnitin application.
- Peermark assignments can be created through the content page in OAKS
- Visit https://tlt.cofc.edututorials/2019/07/12/turnitin-peermark-peer-review-assignment-tool/ for tutorial videos.
LockDown Browser® – Respondus LockDown Browser is a custom browser that locks down the testing environment (a student’s computer) within OAKS Quizzes. With this software activated, students are not allowed to open websites or other applications during testing. There is also a monitoring feature that can detect and flag suspicious activities as well as a live monitoring feature.
- For more information on how lockdown browser works visit Respondus LockDown Browser®
Turnitin – Turnitin is an OAKS Assignment add-on as well as a stand-alone website that detects plagiarism, investigates authorship, enhances academic skills, and expedites grading. For more information on the product check out the Turnitin website.
- Visit https://tlt.cofc.edututorials/2018/06/22/turnitin-check-assignments-for-plagiarism-grammar-and-spelling-in-oaks/ for tutorials
Voicethread – VoiceThread is an online digital storytelling program that allows users to upload pictures or presentations then add a voice or video recording as commentary. Because it’s online it’s also very easy to share with individuals or your course. For more information on the product check out the Voicethread website.
- Voicethread is available via the Multimedia Resources widget on your OAKS Course pages. You must access Voicethread via OAKS to take advantage of the site license.
Qualtrics – an easy to use yet comprehensive electronic survey tool that allows for the statistical analysis of results. For more information check out http://oiep.cofc.edu/qualtrics/index.php
- To establish a new Qualtrics account, one must complete the instructions found on the Office for Institutional Effectiveness and Strategic Planning’s Qualtrics page. (email@example.com)
- Contact Cara Dombroski with any Qualtrics questions (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Minitab – statistical analysis software (MAC & Windows versions)
- To have Minitab installed on your office computer visit the IT Software page.
JMP – statistical analysis software focused on exploratory data analysis and visualization.
- To have JMP installed on your office computer contact the Helpdesk at email@example.com.
SAS – statistical analysis software (WINDOWS ONLY)
- To have SAS installed on your office computer contact the Helpdesk at firstname.lastname@example.org.
SPSS – statistical analysis software
- To have SPSS installed on your office computer contact the Helpdesk at email@example.com.
Adobe Acrobat Pro – software to create, modify, and annotate PDFs.
- To have Acrobat installed on your office computer contact the Helpdesk at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Adobe Creative Cloud – software to do a multitude of creative things. It includes Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, and Premiere (video editing).
- This is available for CofC computers only.
- It will cost the department $165 ANNUALLY and will be automatically renewed unless you cancel it in advance with IT Financial.
- To purchase:
- Contact IT Financial – email@example.com or 953.3989.
- Create an IDT to IT Finance for $165/year.
- Helpdesk will install the software.
Antivirus – software to protect your computer from viruses as well as detect and remove existing viruses.
Google Apps for Education – College of Charleston Google Apps accounts for Faculty and Staff are now available. Accounts include popular features like Google Docs, Calendar, Groups, Sites, and Google Talk. Google Apps for faculty and staff does not include Gmail
- For information on activating your account visit https://goo.gl/LBafSa
Microsoft Office for Home Use – $9.95 (faculty/staff only)
- The Microsoft Home Use Program is no longer available to the College of Charleston. Instead you have access to install Office from within your Office 365 portal on up to five machines. The use of the software does require that you have an active account with the College. Please contact Helpdesk with questions.
- If you go to http://portal.office.com you will see the Install Office link. This allows you to install Office on your home computer and login with your CofC email and password.
- SecureShare is a Web-based application that allows faculty and staff to securely and temporarily share files across campus and externally. You can access SecureShare off campus as long as you have internet connection.
- SecureShare is available to staff and faculty at the College of Charleston. You may also share files with members of the general public. In doing so, you must initiate the share.
- Go to https://secureshare.cofc.edu/
- For more information see https://goo.gl/g6VGGZ