In this month’s “Others” blogpost for the Teaching and Learning Team Holistic Development, I want to draw attention to Mark Del Mastro’s website where he regularly updates a page called “Dr. D’s Tips for Success.” He has been a constant source of encouragement to me since I began at the College a little over a year ago, and I have been keeping an eye on this particular page because it offers really helpful advice from someone whom I have come to respect deeply. Even though students appear to be his primary audience, the tips are widely relevant. Here are some of my favorites:
- Control what you CAN control: (This is Mark Del Mastro the philosopher. I would encourage reading this alongside Epictetus or Marcus Aurelius)
- Health is a freedom we only appreciate once lost
- ALWAYS respect the views/ideas of others, ask questions, and LISTEN
- Resist going over people’s heads
- Always deliver a firm handshake (My children have come to know “Dr. D,” and they are always ready with a firm handshake)
There are others. Thanks for sharing and practicing them, Mark!