As you’re preparing your OAKS courses for the start of the semester, we wanted to bring a few things to your attention to help make life (well at least OAKS) easier for you! First, we wanted to mention OAKS crosslisting. Crosslisting is an option that allows you to combine 2 or more sections of the same course in OAKS. This will help save you time so that you don’t have to post the same content to 2 or more courses. It is highly recommended that you request crosslisting BEFORE content or student work is added as student work will be lost. However, you can request a crosslist at any time during the semester as long as there is no student work, grades, discussions or quizzes in the class. Also note that it takes about 3 business days for the OAKS administrator to process your requests.
Also, OAKS allows other users to be added to your course. We broke down the user roles more in depth for you. All roles can be requested via online forms in the My Home OAKS page. When you log in to OAKS, you will see a widget in the lower left hand corner titled OAKS Requests. Please see below for a list of role options:
Content Assistant – The content assistant is the most commonly used option, and will meet most needs. Faculty can add any CofC user (faculty, staff and/or student) as a content assistant on their own. (If you would like a non-CofC user added as a Content Assistant, you will need to add in the form’s description that the user is a guest.)
Content assistants can create, edit, re-order, restrict and unhide:
- Discussions (They CAN see student discussion posts but CANNOT grade)
- Quizzes (They CANNOT see student submissions or grade quizzes)
- Dropbox (They CANNOT see student submissions or grade assignments)
- Classlist (They CAN send emails but CANNOT see user progress)
Content assistants do NOT have access to:
- Any student work and submissions
- Discussions (They CAN see student discussion posts and grade discussions from within the discussion tool)
- Quizzes (They CAN see student submissions and grade quizzes from within the quiz tool)
- Dropbox (They CAN see student submissions and grade assignments from within the dropbox tool)
- Classlist (they can also send emails but CANNOT see user progress)
Grading assistants do NOT have access to:
- Gradebook (Students can ONLY grade student work within the tools)
Fake Student – You can have a fake student account enrolled in your course to view your course as an actual student.
Student – Students can only be added to special use courses. Students should be enrolled in official CofC courses via the registrar.
Incomplete Student – Students with a grade of an “I” in Banner can be given access to your course for one additional semester to complete the course. Access will be removed at the end of the following semester.
Staff – Staff members can be given OAKS accounts and enrolled in your course with viewing privileges. If they will be assisting with course creation you should request they be added as a Content Assistant.
Guest – Non-CofC users can be added to your OAKS classes as a guest. The Guest role can only see content and participate in Discussion. They cannot access any other tools within OAKS. These requests will be approved by Academic Affairs prior to the user getting an OAKS account.
All roles can be requested in OAKS in the My Home page. When you first log in you will see a widget in the lower left hand corner titled OAKS Requests.