Are you tired of people sending you files you can’t read, like .pub (Publisher) or .docx (new Word)?  Well I’ve been working with a few free, online file converters that may help you out.   I started looking into these when my husband, Vince, sent me a .pub file that I needed to look at.  Being a Mac user I don’t have access to Publisher so I had to find another way to view it.  Enter Zamzar! Zamzar is a free, online file conversion application and it’s very simple to use.

4 Easy Steps

When you file is finished you will be emailed download instructions.  It really was easy and you don’t even need to sign up for an account.  With the free account you can convert up to 5 files at a time with a maximum file size of 100 MB each.

Sample of available file types

The cool thing about these conversion programs are that they can convert many file types, such as images, videos, documents/spreadsheets, music, and a few others.  There is a downside however, the return of the converted files is a bit slow.

If you check out Zamzar and you don’t like it, fear not.  There are several other programs that you may like more.  Check out Media Convert (good but with a cluttered interface), Media Converter (audio and video only), and YouConvertIt (doesn’t convert the new Office format, .docx).  I’m sure there’s more but these are the ones I’ve used.

So next time you are sent a file you can’t read consider trying one of these converter programs.  They’re not fast but they work.