The College of Charleston has several campus-wide software licenses available to faculty.
EndNotes Web – EndNote Web is a bibliographic management product on the Web. With an EndNote Web account, users can manage references, cite references in papers and create bibliographies. While not as robust as the full version of EndNotes, EndNotes Web allows you to perform all the basic bibliographic management functions: create a personal library of references, organize them into groups, insert them into a Word document, and format your Word document according to a variety of styles.
- To use and install EndNotes Web contact the Library or go to http://nuncio.cofc.edu/login?url=http://webofknowledge.com/?DestApp=WOS&editions=SCI
- Once in, look for “my endnote web” link at the top. From there, create an account.
- Once logged in there is a short tutorials and a place to download the Cite While You Write section. IF YOU USE THIS, you need to go into the preferences for the toolbar and change it from the Application to the EndNote Web.
GIS – A geographic information/mapping system (GIS) lets us visualize, question, analyze, and interpret data to understand relationships, patterns, and trends.
- To have GIS installed in a classroom or your office contact the Helpdesk at email@example.com.
Kaltura – Kaltura MediaSpace is a Youtube-like, online media area specifically for CofC faculty, staff and students. Unlike other media servers on campus Kaltura is available to students so it can be used to upload video projects. Faculty can use it to upload tutorials, online lectures or any original work. Kaltura is also integrated into the OAKS HTML editor.
- Kaltura is a fully online application and can be accessed via the HTML editor in OAKS (Insert Stuff > My Media) or by going to http://cofc.mediaspace.kaltura.com. You will be required to log in using your Cougars username and password.
- Visit http://blogs.cofc.edu/tlttutorials/2013/10/16/kaltura-mediaspace/ for more information and tutorials.
MatLab – MatLab is a high-performance language for technical computing. There are functions for data analysis and visualization, numeric computation, engineering and scientific graphics, modeling, simulation, prototyping, programming and application development.
- To install MatLab on your office computer visit go.cofc.edu/MatLab
- Visit the MATLAB Academy for online tutorials and training.
Mediasite – Mediasite is the campus solution for lecture capture (Echo360 Replacement). Mediasite’s Desktop Recorder software allows professors to create and share media. For more information about Mediasite, please visit http://blogs.cofc.edu/tlttutorials/2015/04/24/mediasite-desktop-recorder-echo360-replacement/
MindView – Mindview is an idea or mind mapping application that allows you to create concept maps. It is a WINDOWS ONLY application.
- To have MindView installed on your office computer contact the Helpdesk at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Visit https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmVNvt2Ya_AMZN2u7j5f6lA for more information and tutorials.
Movie Captioner – software that allows users to make closed captioned videos.
- Instruction on how to download the software are available on the Help & Training tab in My Charleston (bottom center of the page).
PollEverywhere – PollEverywhere is an online-based audience response system, similar to clickers (e.g. iClickers and TurningPoint).
- Contact your Instructional Technologist to be added to the campus license.
- Visit http://blogs.cofc.edu/tlttutorials/2013/09/10/poll-everywhere/ for more information and tutorials.
Voicethread – VoiceThread is an online digital storytelling program that allows users to upload pictures or presentations then add a voice or video recording as commentary. Because it’s online it’s also very easy to share with individuals or your course. For more information on the product check out the Voicethread website.
- Voicethread is available via the Multimedia Resources widget on your OAKS Course pages. You must access Voicethread via OAKS to take advantage of the site license.
Qualtrics – an easy to use yet comprehensive electronic survey tool that allows for the statistical analysis of results. For more information check out http://oiep.cofc.edu/qualtrics/index.php
- To establish a new Qualtrics account, one must complete the instructions found on the Office for Institutional Effectiveness and Strategic Planning’s Qualtrics page. (email@example.com)
- Contact Cara Dombroski with any Qualtrics questions (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Minitab – statistical analysis software
- To have Minitab installed on your office computer contact the Helpdesk at email@example.com.
JMP – statistical analysis software focused on exploratory data analysis and visualization.
- To have JMP installed on your office computer contact the Helpdesk at firstname.lastname@example.org.
SAS – statistical analysis software
- To have SAS installed on your office computer contact the Helpdesk at email@example.com.
SPSS – statistical analysis software
- To have SPSS installed on your office computer contact the Helpdesk at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Adobe Acrobat Pro – software to create, modify, and annotate PDFs.
- To have Acrobat installed on your office computer contact the Helpdesk at email@example.com.
Adobe Creative Cloud – software to do a multitude of creative things. It includes Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, and Premiere (video editing).
- This is available for CofC computers only.
- It will cost the department $165 ANNUALLY and will be automatically renewed unless you cancel it in advance with IT Financial.
- To purchase:
- Contact IT Financial – firstname.lastname@example.org or 953.3989.
- Create an IDT to IT Finance for $165/year.
- Helpdesk will install the software.
Antivirus – software to protect your computer from viruses as well as detect and remove existing viruses.
Google Apps for Education – College of Charleston Google Apps accounts for Faculty and Staff are now available. Accounts include popular features like Google Docs, Calendar, Groups, Sites, and Google Talk. Google Apps for faculty and staff does not include Gmail
- For information on activating your account visit https://goo.gl/LBafSa
Microsoft Office for Home Use – $9.95 (faculty/staff only)
- To load Office on your home machine for a drastically reduced price follow the instructions on the IT website.
- SecureShare is a Web-based application that allows faculty and staff to securely and temporarily share files across campus and externally. You can access SecureShare off campus as long as you have internet connection.
- SecureShare is available to staff and faculty at the College of Charleston. You may also share files with members of the general public. In doing so, you must initiate the share.
- Go to https://secureshare.cofc.edu/
- For more information see https://goo.gl/g6VGGZ