Did you know that the College has purchased a site license for Read&Write from TextHelp (thanks Disability Services). Read&Write is a toolbar for your computer or web browser that allows the users to increase their literacy. This toolbar works in any application on your computer, allowing you to:
- have the computer read digital documents to you
- highlight any website or document to assist with summarizing and categorizing
- suggest words as you type (prediction) to develop writing skills
- convert inaccessible text, such as a screenshot, into accessible text
- proofread your documents
- and more…
I use Read&Write to read difficult or boring documents out loud while I read it. It helps me stay focused especially if I’m not keen to read it to begin with. It also has a Screen Masking tool which is another tool to help prevent loss of focus.
These are just a few of the things Read&Write can do without much, if any, instruction. However, if you want to do more then you can use it to
- give you word definitions. There is even a picture dictionary which can be good for non-native speakers.
- create audio files from typed text.
- check verbs for agreement.
- create a collection from your highlights.
- create a vocabulary list.
- add text facts to a web resource (such as notes, title, author, etc.).
- export the notes you create to a Word document.
- translate words
- similar word checker
These tools can definitely help users with disabilities but it’s important to know that they can help EVERYONE become more literate. We all have times where focus or vocabulary or writing is an issue and this is a tool that can help.
- Go to https://www.texthelp.com/en-us/products/read-write/read-write-for-education/
- Click Try Now choose your platform and follow the normal installation instructions for your platform
- Once it’s installed, open it up and accept the User Terms, click OK.
- IMPORTANT: When asked to sign in you MUST choose GOOGLE and use your CofC email and password.
If you have problems getting it installed or logged in, contact the CofC Service Desk at 843-953-DESK.