This morning I had several people contact me to see when I was available for appointments.  Don’t get me wrong! I love to meet with people, especially when they want to talk about upcoming projects that they’re considering.  For some reason, this morning it took me forever to get everyone scheduled.  I started thinking:  how much time per day do we spend on scheduling with other people?

According to a report released from Doodle, an online scheduling tool, respondents required an average of 4 ¾ hours per week to arrange meetings with nine different participants. Now, let’s do the math on that, times the amount of students you teach…per class…per semester…any outside commitments… carry the one…that’s A LOT!

One tool that could help you with students scheduling appointments is YouCanBook.Me.  It syncs your Google calendar and your Outlook calendar with an outward facing component so that people can see when you are available and choose a time to meet, without all of the back and forth of comparing schedules.  YouCanBook.Me keeps the entries in real time to cut down on scheduling conflicts and will email you when someone has chosen a time on your calendar for an appointment.  It will also send out email reminders to the participants for upcoming events. One of the best features is that you can control what times you show as free, so that not all of your unscheduled time on your Google or Outlook calendar shows to the world.  This would be a great tool to use for office hours, distance education, or committee meetings.

For more information on YouCanBook.Me, please follow this link:  http://bit.ly/WWEdZI

By the way, did I mention that it’s free?