I just ran across a tool called SNAPP that will create visualizations of your OAKS discussions. SNAPP, created by Dr. Shane Dawson at the University of Wollongong, is designed to take information from a discussion topic in OAKS and create a diagram that displays the number of postings per user as well as their response relationship to others in the discussion. Here are some examples:
In addition you can also get a quick statistical overview that lists the students’ names and the number of posts per student for that particular topic. It’s just an interesting way to view the conversations that are occurring in your OAKS classes.
Installing and using it is a breeze!
- Go to https://topaz.ad.uow.edu.au/SNAPP/Menu.html
- Complete the form and make sure to choose DESIRE2LEARN for the Learning Management System.
- On the next window merely drag the link on the page into the bookmark bar of your browser
- Now log into OAKS and go into a class discussion. Make sure to go all the way into the discussion topic itself, where you will see a list of all the postings for that topic.
- Once there, click on the SNAPP link in the bookmark bar.
- Be patient, it takes a minute to run the java applet that creates the report.
- Once you see it you can play around with different visualization styles and settings to achieve the overview style that you want.
Let me know what you think by commenting below!